An issue was discovered in Zen Cart Big Chooser which affects people trying to create discounts based on products with specfic attribute settings. As an example,
$this->add_condition("Buy 22 boxed edition, get download edition free", true);
$this->set_constraint(PROD, 22, 1);
$this->set_discount(PROD, 22, 1, "%", 100);
This discount allows to to offer product 22 (with attribute 5 set to value 10) free when product 22 (with attribute 5 set to 13) is purchased. This style of discounting works correctly in Big Chooser 1.2.15.
Many people think that offering a BOGO style discount – buy 1 get 1 free, buy 2 get one free, etc. – is no different from simply offering a percent off sale. It may well be the same for the consumer – but to the retailer, there is a tremendous difference. Even though the gross margin is the same, the BOGO sale brings in more profit.
Consider an item which sells for $100 which your store buys for $25.
If you offer a half off sale, and sell one item, you make a $25 profit. ($50 revenue – $25 cost of goods = $25)
If you offer a buy one get one free sale, and you sell one item, you make a $50 profit ($100 revenue – $50 cost of goods = $50). What’s more, in this transaction, and you increase the velocity of your inventory.
The gross margin in each case is the same; in the former, 50-25/50 = 50%, in the latter, 100-50/100 = 50%.
Buy one, get a lower priced item for free sales are even more compelling.
If the main item retails for $100 with a cost of $25, and the add-on item retails for $50 with a cost of $12.50, buy one, get the add on free brings in $100 of revenue for a cost of goods sold of $37.50, for a profit of $62.50. This is a gross margin of $100-$37.50/$100 = 62.5%!
If you run a Zen Cart based business, you can do BOGO style discounts with the following modules:
- Zen Cart Better Together – Buy two linked items, save money; buy one, get one free; buy one item, get a free gift.
- Zen Cart Combination Discounts – Buy multiple linked items, get a discount on another product / receive another product free.
- Zen Cart BOGO Discount – Buy some number of items, get some other number of items at a discount, for all items in the cart (grouping by item, category or without restriction).
- Zen Cart Big Spender – Spend over a certain dollar amount, get a discount on other products / receive other products free.
- Zen Cart Big Chooser – Buy multiple items, get a discount on other products or combinations of products, or receive other products or combinations of products free.
I have created a new mod which automatically adds a specified item to the cart when a coupon code is entered. It’s called Coupon Auto Add. It works with Zen Cart 1.3.9 and 1.5.x.
Users wishing to sort native discounts (such as Coupons or Group Discounts) after my Zen Cart discounts, with tax recalculation, should look at this page. (An example of this would be doing a Big Chooser discount, then applying a percent off coupon.)