Social Bookmarking is a Zen Cart™ mod which allows you
to allow your customers to easily add your pages to popular social
networking and shopping sites such as wists and del.icio.us.
Zen Cart™ 1.3.0 - 1.3.9, 1.5.x
Support Thread: Social Bookmarking Support Thread
Free, but donation appreciated
Zen Cart Downloads page, under Marketing Tools
Download: Social Bookmarking on Zen Cart Downloads Page
This mod allows you to add submission buttons for four popular social bookmarking/social shopping websites to your pages. The link anchor text is made up of the product name and your shop name, and the link has the zenid removed for safety. Following the pattern of this modification, it's easy to add other social bookmarking sites as well.
You may also optionally include a link to a tool called
which automatically creates links
to dozens more social networking/bookmarking/shopping sites.
This link is turned on by default; instructions for turning it off
are in the installation notes below.
This is what the final result will look like:
The [More ...] link is the link to the Socializer.
Here's an example of the sort of page that the Socializer will
take you to if you click on [More ...]
Alternately, you may use AddThis.com's bookmarking service
, which will
give you a link that looks like this:
The button is the link to AddThis.com.
Here's an example of the sort of page that you will go to
if you click on the button
A lot of people use AddThis.com - you can see a list
You'll see my name at the bottom as one of the first developers to
integrate AddThis with a third party system.
- Backup everything! Try this in a test environment prior to installing
on a live shop.
- Copy the contents of the unzipped folder to the root directory of your
- Customize the file tpl_product_info_display.php with the lines
<!-- bof social bookmarking -->
<!-- eof social bookmarking -->
- If you are running Chemo's SEO URLs, edit tpl_social.php, and change
// define('CHEMO_URLS', '1');
(i.e. uncomment the line)
This *only* applies to Chemo's SEO URLs; Ultimate SEO URLs will work fine
with no changes.
- Decide which of the bookmarking user interfaces you would like to use.
Your options are:
All of these are ON by default; you will want to turn some of them off.
Edit the file
to do this. My recommendation is either using the four images and
the Socializer link or the AddThis link, but it's your choice.
- a row of four images
- a text link to the Socializer
- a graphical link to AddThis.
- You're done! Try bookmarking a site (assuming you have an account on
a social bookmark site; if not, create one!)
The Socializer allows your users to bookmark to more sites, but it
is advertiser supported content.
Read more about it at Socializer Home Page
AddThis also allows your users to bookmark more sites.
Read more about it at AddThis Home Page
- 1.5 04/01/2008 - Simplification; just uses add this. You may use the dropdown link optionally.
- 1.4 01/06/2007 - Adds an optional link to addthis.com's bookmarking service. Now any (or all) of the links may be used at your discretion.
- 1.3 12/23/2006 - Links open in new windows; added code to permit the addition of social bookmarking to the main page.
- 1.2 10/20/2006 - Correct generated URL so that it works for all servers; some servers choked on the old url.
- 1.1 10/16/2006 - Adds an optional link to Socializer, which generates links to a variety of social sites, but is ad supported. Link opens in a new window. Fixes for Chemo URLs also.
- 1.0 09/27/2006 - First Release
Q: Why can't I just paste the bookmarking code from AddThis.com into my page? Why do I need this mod?
A: There are a few things you get from using this mod instead of using the AddThis bookmark button code directly:
(check your server logs for percentages), and using the AddThis code
directly would not work for them.
- This mod protects you from defects in other mods which expose your zenid on the browser address bar. This is a particular problem in SEO-type mods.
- This mod creates a smaller, more friendly page title for bookmarking.
Q: I'd like to use the statistical tracking features of AddThis. How do
I do that?
A: The AddThis statistical tracking feature is very powerful; it allows you to easily monitor what people are bookmarking. Adding it to your Zen Cart
just requires a small amount of customization.
You will need to create an AddThis account
. Then create a button with statistics
Look at the code in the code window, and you'll see something like
statement (and the trailing ampersand) is what you'll need.
Edit tpl_social.php, and
go to the line that starts with
echo '<a href="http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?url=
change this to
echo '<a href="http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?pub=your-addthis-login&url=
Q: Hey, I just found this new social bookmarking aggregator - would you please add
it to the Social Bookmarking Contribution?
A: Let me know about it
and I'll do my best.
./bm_images (directory of image files)
|Certificates of appreciation most welcome!|
If the information you learned reading this site is helping your store make
more money, please consider making a donation. Thank you!
Want more Zen Cart?
Tips and Tricks